Thursday, May 24, 2018
   
Text Size

Site Search powered by Ajax

Egypt court upholds death sentences over football riot

Ten men sentenced to death over violence at Port Said football match, with one additional suspect still at large.

Egypt's top court upheld death sentences for 10 men on Tuesday for their part in Egypt's worst violence at a football stadium, in which more than 70 fans were killed in February 2012.

Many of the dead were crushed when panicked fans tried to escape from the Port Said stadium after a post-match pitch invasion by supporters of the local side Al-Masry. Others fell or were thrown from terraces, witnesses said at the time.

The ruling by the Court of Cassation, which is final, excluded an 11th defendant who remains at large after his death penalty was also confirmed in June 2015 by another court.

Football matches are often a flashpoint for violence in Egypt. The teams in the Port Said incident - Al-Masry and Cairo's Al-Ahly - are longtime rivals. Witnesses said the rioting broke out after Cairo fans unfurled banners insulting the local team, which had won the match 3-1.

Since then Egypt has curbed the number of people allowed to attend matches and supporters have often tried to storm stadiums they are banned from entering.

In February 2015, at least 22 people were killed outside a stadium when security forces barred fans from entering.

Most of the casualties suffocated when the crowd stampeded after police used tear gas to clear the fans trying to force their way into a league match between two Cairo clubs, Zamalek and Enppi, doctors and witnesses said.

Fan clubs known as "Ultras" were outlawed in May 2015. Relations between the Ultras and security forces have been tense for four years after the fans played a key role in the 18 days of street protests that toppled autocrat Hosni Mubarak.


blog comments powered by Disqus

Subscribe via RSS or Email:

US: NFL to fine teams if players re...

Read More

Ozil and Gundogan meet German presi...

Read More

Alex Ferguson recovering from emerg...

Read More

Nadal to take on Greek teenager Tsi...

Read More

Fanny Blankers-Koen: Why Google hon...

Read More

Mohamed Salah surpasses Ronaldo to ...

Read More

Global_News

Germany's biggest lender to decrease workforce from 97,000 to 'well below' 90,000 as part of cost-cutting strategy.

Read More

Donation

Thanks to all of our supporters for your generosity and your encouragement of an independent press!

Enter Amount:

Featured_Author

Login






Login reminder Forgot login?

Subscribe to MWC News Alert

Email Address

Subscribe in a reader Facebok page Twitter page

Week in Pictures

Ramadan begins

Palestinians in Gaza 'massacre'