Thursday, April 19, 2018
   
Text Size

Site Search powered by Ajax

Tariq Ramadan maintains innnocence in new video

Scholar of Islam says he is the subject of smear campaign amid investigation for sexual assault on two separate counts.

Tariq Ramadan

A new video by the Muslim scholar Tariq Ramadan - dating back to mid-November - in which he maintains his innocence has surfaced.

The video, published by the French news website The Muslim Post, was apparently filmed a few weeks before Tariq Ramadan, 55, was set to appear before a French court.

In the 10-minute recording, Ramadan - who is being investigated for sexual assault on two separate counts - says he is innocent and alleges he is the subject of a smear campaign.

"I would like to begin by saying that I am totally innocent of the crimes I am accused of … With time, we will know who has said the truth, who has lied, and, ultimately, who is innocent," he said.

Ramadan advocates a "European Islam" free from foreign influence that promotes social integration.


READ MORE: Tariq Ramadan: The professor of European Islam


His supporters have strenuously rejected the allegations, characterising them as part of a concerted effort to defame the academic on the back of the #MeToo campaign.

Ramadan says he had been closely monitored by French authorities in the past and that it would have been known to them if any of the alleged crimes had occurred.

The testimony comes a week after a third rape case was filed against Ramadan.

The plaintiff, a 45-year-old woman, accused him of violent sexual assault on multiple occasions between early 2013 and June 2014.

The Paris Court of Appeal denied a request to release Ramadan earlier in February after a medical report said his health condition is compatible with his detention.


blog comments powered by Disqus

Subscribe via RSS or Email:

Tens of thousands rally in Armenia as ex-president elected PM

Read More

Scientists test plastic-eating enzyme in bid to fight pollution

Read More

Russia 'will not delay' in response to US sanctions: Deputy FM

Read More

Theresa May defends Syria strikes in parliament

Read More

Montenegro's Djukanovic wins presidency, avoids runoff

Read More

Putin: Further Syria strikes to cause chaos in international ties

Read More

Global_News

Convoy of General Abdel-Razeq Nathouri targeted while travelling from Benghazi to military base in al-Marj.

Read More

Donation

Thanks to all of our supporters for your generosity and your encouragement of an independent press!

Enter Amount:

Featured_Author

Login






Login reminder Forgot login?

Subscribe to MWC News Alert

Email Address

Subscribe in a reader Facebok page Twitter page

Week in Pictures

One year under Trump

Gun violence in US