Thursday, April 19, 2018
   
Text Size

Site Search powered by Ajax

Sri Lanka lifts state of emergency as ethnic tensions subside

President Sirisena announces end of security measures, after 'assessing the public safety situation'.

Muslim-owned shops

Sri Lanka's president announced he has lifted the nationwide state of emergency that was imposed after communal clashes resulted in the deaths of three people. 

The latest series of violence began on March 4, after a Buddhist Sinhalese man was beaten to death by a group of Muslim men following a traffic accident in Teledeniya town in Kandy.

Several dozen people were wounded in the riots, in which mobs vandalised mosques and scores of Muslim homes and businesses.

"Upon assessing the public safety situation, I instructed to revoke the State of Emergency from midnight yesterday,"  President Maithripala Sirisena said on Twitter. 

The measure was imposed on March 6 after police failed to control the riots and the military was deployed. Internet access was also blocked across the country.

Police have arrested the suspected instigators of the riots.

The United Nations condemned the string of anti-Muslim attacks in Sri Lanka last week.

Under-Secretary-General for Political Affairs Jeffrey Feltman told the Sri Lankan government the people behind the violence should be brought to justice.

During his visit, Feltman "condemned the breakdown in law and order and the attacks against Muslims and their property", a UN statement said.

The violence has raised fears of instability in Sri Lanka, a South Asian island nation still struggling to recover from nearly three decades of ethnic civil war.

sri-lanka_clash


blog comments powered by Disqus

Subscribe via RSS or Email:

Stories you may have missed because...

Read More

India: Nationwide protests to deman...

Read More

Myanmar's first Rohingya repatriati...

Read More

BJP legislator Kuldeep Singh Sengar...

Read More

Jammu policemen face charges over A...

Read More

Sri Lanka President Maithripala Sir...

Read More

Global_News

Convoy of General Abdel-Razeq Nathouri targeted while travelling from Benghazi to military base in al-Marj.

Read More

Donation

Thanks to all of our supporters for your generosity and your encouragement of an independent press!

Enter Amount:

Featured_Author

Login






Login reminder Forgot login?

Subscribe to MWC News Alert

Email Address

Subscribe in a reader Facebok page Twitter page

Week in Pictures

One year under Trump

Gun violence in US