Wednesday, September 19, 2018
   
Text Size

Site Search powered by Ajax

Google staff condemn plan for censored Chinese search engine

China restricts internet users by blocking websites, censoring words and clamping down on free speech.

Google

More than a thousand Google employees have signed a letter criticising the company's plan to launch a heavily censored version of its search engine in China.

In the letter, which is an internal petition, the employees asked for more transparency and oversight of Project Dragonfly, the project's internal title.

"We urgently need more transparency, a seat at the table and a commitment to clear and open processes: Google employees need to know what we're building," the letter, seen by the Reuters news agency, reads.

The employees are reportedly worried about kowtowing to China by implementing the government's requests for censorship. 

China restricts internet users massively by blocking websites, censoring words and clamping down on free speech.

In the letter, the employees say Google would be validating China's restrictions on freedom of expression and violating its own clause in the company's code of conduct, "don't be evil".

Google has not officially commented on the project, but following the letter, Google CEO Sundar Pichai told employees the project is still in early stages of development and it is still unknown if the search engine would launch at all.

"The team has been in an exploration stage for quite a while now, and I think they are exploring many options," Pichai said during an internal meeting.

"We'll definitely be transparent as we get closer to actually having a plan of record here."

Human rights organisations and activists expressed their worry over Google's plans when they were shared earlier this month in US media reports.

Amnesty International called it "a dark day for the internet" if Google decided to push through its plans.

Activists have long sought to circumvent the effects of the Chinese government's pervasive censorship methods.

Earlier this year, Google employees staged a similar protest when it was announced the company was working with the US Department of Defense to develop artificial intelligence capabilities for drones.

After the letter, Google decided to withdraw from that project.

If Google decides to follow through on its plans, it would not be the first time Google enters the Chinese market.

In 2006, the search engine was introduced to Chinese internet users, but after many quarrels with the Chinese government, it moved its servers to Hong Kong, which has fewer restrictions on the internet.

However, eventually, Google pulled out of China completely in 2010 after several large-scale attacks on the company purportedly by the Chinese government.

Google services, including its search engine, Gmail and Google Drive, are all blocked in China.


blog comments powered by Disqus

Subscribe via RSS or Email:

Mangkhut kills four in China, cause...

Read More

Jovito 'The Butcher' Palparan sente...

Read More

Typhoon Mangkhut rips through Hong ...

Read More

Typhoon Mangkhut kills 12 in Philip...

Read More

'Great founder': Venezuela's Maduro...

Read More

Super Typhoon Mangkhut makes landfa...

Read More

Donation

Thanks to all of our supporters for your generosity and your encouragement of an independent press!

Enter Amount:

Featured_Author

Login






Login reminder Forgot login?

Subscribe to MWC News Alert

Email Address

Subscribe in a reader Facebok page Twitter page

Israel pounds Gaza

India's Kerala state devastated

Capturing life under apartheid