Saturday, November 18, 2017
   
Text Size

Site Search powered by Ajax

Philippines: Duterte warns more bombings likely

Philippine president vows "day of reckoning" for those involved in September 2 blast that killed 14 people.

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has warned more blasts could hit the country because of "reprisals" against his government; a week after a bombing killed 14 people and injured more than 60 others in his home city.

Arriving in Davao after his first foreign trip as president, Duterte told reporters on Saturday that it was too early to talk publicly about any leads being pursued by those investigating the September 2 attack.

"But I guarantee you that there will be a day of reckoning. So watch out," Duterte said in a mix of English and Filipino.

Duterte was returning on Saturday from an Association of Southeast Asian Nation (ASEAN) summit in Indonesia. 

Duterte did not mention a specific group involved in the deadly attack. But after the blast, he ordered the army to carry out a major operation in the Sulu province, sending at least 7,000 troops to a province long known as a stronghold of the Abu Sayyaf armed group.

Senior government officials had earlier blamed Abu Sayyaf, an armed group that has pledged loyalty to the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL, also known as ISIS), for the Davao blast.

The Philippine navy had imposed a blockade to stop fighters from slipping out of the notoriously porous southern border next to Malaysia and Indonesia.

An ongoing military offensive has killed at least 32 fighters and left more than a dozen government soldiers dead.


READ MORE: The Philippines - where bodies pile up, but no one talks


In Davao, Sara Duterte, city mayor and daughter of the president, has raised a reward offered for those behind the attack from $20,000 to $30,000, a hefty amount in the Philippines. 

On Saturday afternoon, state broadcaster PTV reported that a politician from Mindanao had been arrested after being linked to the attack. He was identified as Talitay, Maguindanao Vice Mayor Abdulwahab Sabal. He has denied the allegations, according to the ABS-CBN website. 

Sabal and his brother, Talitay Mayor Montasir Sabal have also been linked to the illegal drug trade in their province, the PTV report said. 

On Friday in Indonesia, Duterte told a group of Filipino workers that he wanted Abu Sayyaf "blown up" at sea.

He said that Indonesia "can go ahead and blast them (Abu Sayyaf) off" in the event of a chase in the high seas between the two neighboring countries.

Duterte said the Indonesian navy had the right to enter Philippine territory if they were pursuing the armed group, adding that the Philippine navy would work closely with it "to end this problem once and for all."

After a meeting with President Joko Widodo, Duterte issued a statement saying: "We expressed commitment to take all necessary measures to ensure security in the Sulu Sea and maritime areas of common concern."

In May, the Philippines, Indonesia and Malaysia reached an agreement to coordinate patrols in shared sea routes.   

Abu Sayyaf, whose name translates as "Bearer of the Sword", has been involved in a spate of kidnapping cases in Muslim-majority Sulu and elsewhere in the southern Philippines for years. 

It is believed that it is currently holding at least nine Indonesians and seven other foreign nationals.

In June and April, the group claimed responsibility for the beheadings of two Canadians.

Abu Sayyaf emerged in the early 1990s during a separatist rebellion being fought by minority Moro Muslims in the south of the predominantly Roman Catholic Philippines.

Conducting bombings, kidnappings, beheadings and extortion, the group's kidnap-for-ransom operations have become a lucrative business for the group.

In 2017, the Philippines will host the annual ASEAN summit.

Asked if Davao could be the venue, Duterte said it would depend on the security situation.

"I would have to listen to the military and the police for an accurate assessment," he said.


blog comments powered by Disqus

Subscribe via RSS or Email:

Cambodia Supreme Court dissolves op...

Read More

Rodrigo Duterte: War with N Korea w...

Read More

North Korean soldier shot by comrad...

Read More

ASEAN and China to start talks over...

Read More

Religious freedom law sought for ga...

Read More

Protesters in Manila call for 'bann...

Read More

Global_News

Erdogan deemed 'enemy collaborator' while modern Turkey's founder Ataturk shown as 'hostile' during military exercise.

Read More

Donation

Thanks to all of our supporters for your generosity and your encouragement of an independent press!

Enter Amount:

Featured_Author

Login






Login reminder Forgot login?

Subscribe to MWC News Alert

Email Address

Subscribe in a reader Facebok page Twitter page

Week in Pictures

Vietnam floods as APEC begin

Balfour Declaration