Thursday, April 19, 2018
   
Text Size

Site Search powered by Ajax

Supreme Court delays vote runoff amid fraud allegations

Vote scheduled for Tuesday delayed until voter fraud allegation by opposition party, which came third, is resolved.

peace mediation

Liberia's Supreme Court has delayed a presidential runoff indefinitely, a day before the vote was due to take place.

The court on Monday announced the decision, saying the election would not go ahead until a legal complaint alleging voter fraud and irregularities by the opposition Liberty Party is resolved.

The National Elections Commission will now need to consider allegations of voter fraud.

The runoff between former international footballer George Weah and Vice President Joseph Boakai had been set for Tuesday.

Liberians went to the polls earlier in October to elect a successor to President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, who stepped down after 12 years in office.

The vote was meant to mark the first time since 1944 that a democratically elected leader would hand over power to another elected leader in the country.

Twenty candidates ran for the country's top job, including the Liberty Party's Charles Brumskine who was behind the appeal to stop the runoff. Brumskine came in third place in the last vote.

Although Weah and Boakai won most votes, neither scored more than the 50 percent needed to become president.

Many Liberians view the country with political class with suspicion.

But lawyer Sayma Syrenius Cephus said a constitutional crisis was unlikely.

"The petition is not to determine a run or a rerun. It is also not a petition to determine whether they can be an interim arrangement," he said.

The National Elections Commission has until November 22 to conclude its investigation.


blog comments powered by Disqus

Subscribe via RSS or Email:

DR Congo president sacks 256 judges...

Read More

UAE shuts Mogadishu hospital amid t...

Read More

Kenya electoral board commissioners...

Read More

Fighters disguised as peacekeepers ...

Read More

Angola says ex-president's son plan...

Read More

UAE plane blocked from leaving Soma...

Read More

Global_News

Convoy of General Abdel-Razeq Nathouri targeted while travelling from Benghazi to military base in al-Marj.

Read More

Donation

Thanks to all of our supporters for your generosity and your encouragement of an independent press!

Enter Amount:

Featured_Author

Login






Login reminder Forgot login?

Subscribe to MWC News Alert

Email Address

Subscribe in a reader Facebok page Twitter page

Week in Pictures

One year under Trump

Gun violence in US